Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Metaphor

Dear Kids,

I was frustrated today.  We were doing errands and "had" to run into Kohl's quick to find a pair of sunglasses I have wanted.  Quick doesn't happen,

 A. with 5 children and B.  In a giant department store.

Will I ever learn?  Lets face it about the only place quick these days in Jimmy John's.  And even they were terrible today-busy and slow. (On the one day I have to feed my kids on the go.)  Back to the metaphor.

Still in the car in the parking lot, I gave you all the pep talk: If you are good and don't run around and get into things maybe you can pick out a special book.  You all agreed.  Even the twins.  "k, mama!"  They both said.  You did good.  Really good.  Theo pushed Georgia in a stroller/cart and I pushed Tillie and had Liza on my chest.  Mayzie walked.  I meant to say, you did good for the amount of time it should have taken us.  But, I couldn't find those dang sunglasses so I decided to look for other things.  For the love of God, we were already out of the car and in the store, I couldn't let this trip be for nothing.

I drug you all from corner to corner of that store, just browsing, hoping to find something to make it work the effort to get in there!  Time passed.  Liza began to wake up and over and over again I shoved that pacifier back in her mouth so she would drift back to sleep.  Theo had to go to the bathroom.  Mayzie was bored and couldn't make it through the isles without stopping to whine and pout and say her feet were tired every couple of minutes.  Even my stop in the jewelry department for her to pick out a necklace wasn't cutting it by this point.  Georgia couldn't  sit still in her stroller and kept tossing her shoes out and screaming when I wouldn't give them back so she could do it again.  Tillie was good.  She always is.  You were hungry.  It was lunch time.  I looked at my watch and it was time to go.  We needed to get Theo to school and stop for lunch at Jimmy John's.  (Speedy fast...not so much today.)  Back to the megaphor again.

My ducklings
I was annoyed...still nothing to purchase except for one tiny little outfit for Liza, and a cart full of who knows what that Tillie, Mayzie and Georgia had been throwing random things in, like bras, bracelets, toys etc.  All of which we just left at the front of the store for someone else to put back.  Sigh.  I really wanted those sunglasses not because I wanted the glasses so much but because we had stayed so long I wanted all my efforts of having kept everyone relatively controlled in a public place to have been worth my time.

I thought about just walking out and putting the tiny outfit back.  But, decided to go ahead and buy it.  Well, I should have just left.  The check out lady was SLOWER THAN SLOW.  And of course there was a line.  And waiting in that line.  WE LOST IT.  Liza Was screaming.  That automatic door is too tempting for toddlers.  Now Mayzie had to go to the bathroom (yes I asked her when we went back the first time and she insisted that she didn't need to go), and department stores are no place for energetic 5 year old boys.  And then my milk started leaking- 30 minutes early.

We left the line.  And the tiny little outfit.  And went to the car.  I was in a bad mood.  I told you all you needed to listen better and a store was not for running and how were we going to live our life if I couldn't take you out for more than 30 minutes to a place that requires good indoor behavior.  I said it all in my stern, mommy means business voice.  But I know it was my own fault.  You are just kids. When will I learn, You have to leave the store while every is still happy and not a minute later...I clearly already know this, and chose to ignore it!

We took Theo to school and as we were walking one of my friends said to me, "they are like little ducklings, just waddling behind you in a line."

"Ha!  Right now they are following me like little ducks, should have seen them 30 minutes ago!" I said.

So whats the metaphor?  Well,  believe it or not, while driving home  we were at the corner of 50th and University at the light.  And Mayzie says, "Look Mommy, duckies."  I looked and saw 5 ducklings and a mother.  They weren't obeying their mother either.  They were too close to the street, playing in some bushes and rocks, and I am certain that mother duck did not have any idea where all of her ducklings were.  So I have lost my train of thought about the metaphor in the week it has taken me to come back and finish writing this blog entry, but its something like this:  Even ducks don't always obey their mama.  All you can do is go with it, hoping the next time they follow behind you like little ducks.  Because lets face it.  It is totally worth it to get out of the house some days.

I love you 5 little ducks of mine, whether you are following me in a perfect line or not.

Love,

Mommy



No comments:

Post a Comment